Microeconometrics: Panel Data and Multinomial Choice
Universität Basel, Spring 2020
Master in Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Prof. Dr. Kurt Schmidheiny
- Syllabus and Calendar
As of Mar 17, 2020, the class is taught via Zoom in the usual time slot.
- Slides Introduction: 4up, 1up
- Recordings of Online Lectures (password protected): mp4, SWITCHtube
- Week 1 (Feb 18): Intro and Panel Data I, 1-13
- Week 2 (Feb 25): Panel Data I, 14-26, Proof asymptotic properties POLS
- Week 3 (Mar 10): Panel Data I, 27-32, PS 1
- Week 4 (Mar 17): Panel Data I, 33-51, PS 1
- Week 5 (Mar 24): Panel Data I, 52-53, PS 2
- Week 6 (Mar 31): Panel Data I, 54-67, PS 3
- Week 7 (Apr 7): Event Study and Distributed-Lags (Schmidheiny & Siegloch)
- Week 8 (Apr 14): GMM
- Week 9 (Apr 21): Panel Data II
- Week 10 (Apr 28):
- Week 11 (May 5):
- Week 12 (May 12):
- Week 13 (May 19):
- Elements of Matrix Algebra: 2up, 1up
- Panel Data I - Fixed and Random Effects: 4up, 1up
Update Mar 24, 2020: New slide 50, additions on slides 64 and 68.
- Generalized Method of Moments: 4up, 1up
- Panel Data II - Dynamic Models: 4up, 1up
- Marianne Bertrand, Esther Duflo, Sendhil Mullainathan (2004), How Much should we Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates? The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 119(1), 249-275.
- A. Colin Cameron, and Douglas L. Miller (2015), A Practitioner’s Guide to Cluster-Robust Inference, The Journal of Human Resources, 50(2), 317-372.
- Kurt Schmidheiny and Sebastian Siegloch (2020), "On Event Studies and Distributed-Lags in Two-Way Fixed Effects Models: Identification, Equivalence, and Generalization". Mimeo March 2020.
Replication data and code: Stata data (.dta), Stata do file (.do).
- Richard Blundell, Stephen Bond (1998), Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models, Journal of Econometrics, 87, 115-143.
- Marius Brülhart, Jonathan Gruber, Matthias Krapf, and Kurt Schmidheiny (2019), "Behavioral Responses to Wealth Taxes: Evidence from Switzerland", Mimeo October 2019.
Data: Stata 14, Stata 11, csv, Variables.
- Problem Set 1: 2up, 1up. Shown Mar 10, 2020.
Code and output: Stata do-file, Stata output, formatted result table.
- Problem Set 2: 2up, 1up. Discussed Mar 24, 2020.
Code and output: Stata do-file, Stata output.
- Problem Set 3: 2up, 1up. Discussed Mar 31, 2020.
Code and output: Stata do-file, Stata output, Figure for 3a), Figure for 3b).