Universität Basel, Fall 2020
Master in Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Prof. Dr. Kurt Schmidheiny
This course will be taught in a hybrid format in fall 2020. Students can attend the class either virtually via Zoom or physically in the classroom. In order to sign up for physical attendance, you need to be registered for the course on MOnA. Details will be sent to registered students shortly before the first class. Seats will assigned on a first-come-first-served basis.
We will use STATA for applications in class in the problem sets:
- There are 20 available computers with STATA in the WWZ computer pool
- There are computers with STATA in other pools of the university
- You can purchase a licence for 6 months at a price of 48 USD
Alternatively, you can use the free statistical software R.
Lecture Notes and Slides:
Causal Effects and the Logic of Randomized Experiments:
- Writing Group for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators (2002), Risks and Benefits of Estrogen Plus Progestin in Healthy Postmenopausal Women: Principal Results From the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Trial, Journal of the American Medical Association, 288:321-333.
- Jeremy D. Finn and Charles M. Achilles (1990), Answers and Questions About Class Size: A Statewide Experiment, American Educational Research Journal, 27, 557-577.
- Alan B. Krueger (1999), Experimental Estimates of Education Production Functions, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 114 (2), 497-532.
- The Wyeth ghostwriting case: New York Times, Aug 4, 2009, PLOS Medicine, Sep 7, 2010, PLOS Ghostwriting Collection.