Universität Basel, Fall 2021
Prof. Dr. Kurt Schmidheiny
The course is planned as an in-class course, if necessary it will be offered in hybrid form, i.e. with a simultaneous livestream or as an online presence course.
We will use STATA for applications in class in the problem sets:
- There are 20 available computers with STATA in the WWZ computer pool
- There are computers with STATA in other pools of the university
- You can purchase a licence for 6 months at a price of 48 USD
Alternatively, you can use the free statistical software R.
Lecture Notes and Slides:
- Problem Set 1: 2up, 1up. Discussed September 29, 2021, 11:15-12:00.
References: Lynch et al. (2016), Thumb-Sucking, Nail-Biting, and Atopic Sensitization, Asthma, and Hay Fever, Pediatrics, 138(2). Perri Klass (2016), Thumb Suckers and Nail Biters May Develop Fewer Allergies, New York Times, July 11, 2016. Stein et al. (2016), Innate Immunity and Asthma Risk in Amish and Hutterite Farm Children, The New England Journal of Medicine, 375(5).
Online test: tba. Unibas E-Assessment. Due September 29, 2021, 10:00.
- Problem Set 2: 2up, 1up. Discussed October 13, 2021, 11:15-12:00.
Data: csv (codebook). Output.
Online test: Output, Unibas E-Assessment. Due October 13, 2021, 10:00.
- Problem Set 3: 2up, 1up. Discussed October 20, 2021, 10:15-12:00 (90'). Output.
Online test: Unibas E-Assessment. Due October 20, 2021, 10:00.
Causal Effects and the Logic of Randomized Experiments:
- Writing Group for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators (2002), Risks and Benefits of Estrogen Plus Progestin in Healthy Postmenopausal Women: Principal Results From the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Trial, Journal of the American Medical Association, 288:321-333.
- Jeremy D. Finn and Charles M. Achilles (1990), Answers and Questions About Class Size: A Statewide Experiment, American Educational Research Journal, 27, 557-577.
- Alan B. Krueger (1999), Experimental Estimates of Education Production Functions, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 114 (2), 497-532.
- The Wyeth ghostwriting case: New York Times, Aug 4, 2009, PLOS Medicine, Sep 7, 2010, PLOS Ghostwriting Collection.